Sunday, September 3, 2023

Fancy Instant Pot Mac n Five Cheese

Apparently I only post once a year now.  In continuance of that tradition I bring you what is, arguably, the best, and maybe easiest, Mac n Cheese recipe.  I won't bore you with the life story of this recipe other than to say that I create recipes in my head before testing them.  I then test them and they don't always succeed.  This recipe, however, exceeded my expectations in every way and needed no tweaking or retesting.  It was an instant, pun intended, classic.  I will be serving this at Thanksgiving this year, as I did last year, and most likely every year for the rest of my life.  I'm pleased as punch to be able to pass it along and I truly hope you love it.




Fancy Instant Pot Mac n Five Cheese


1 pound pasta, any macaroni variety like elbow, cavatappi, penne, etc.

1 tsp chicken or garlic bouillon

4 ounces cream cheese, cubed

4 ounces Velveeta, cubed

4 ounces Parmesan, shredded (preferably not grated)

1 cup Cheddar (medium or sharp), shredded

1 cup Monterey Jack, shredded (or Pepper Jack for some heat)

1 can evaporated milk

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tbsp dried Parsley

Pinch of cayenne

½ tsp Worcestershire sauce

½ tsp salt, or to taste

¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper, or to taste


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.


Place pasta in the IP with enough water to cover along with 1 tsp chicken or garlic bouillon. Turn the valve to SEALED and cook on MANUAL for 4 minutes. Then quick release and remove the lid, careful of the steam. There may be a little excess water but that is totally fine and will help make the sauce.


To the cooked pasta the remaining ingredients but reserving ½ the Parmesan, ½ the Cheddar, and ½ the Monterey Jack. Stir until the cheese is melty and well blended.


Transfer the mac n cheese to a greased 2-quart or 9x13-inch baking dish. Spread evenly and then top with all of the remaining cheeses.


Bake on the top rack of the oven until the cheese on top is melted and starting to brown, approximately 10 minutes but keep an eye on it.


Remove from the oven and let it stand to cool for 10 minutes before dishing up and serving.


This makes a great holiday dinner side dish. Makes 8-12 servings.


Click HERE for a printable version of this recipe.





If I remember to, big if, I will take a photo and include here the next time I make this.





No comments:

Post a Comment