Monday, December 21, 2015

Christmas Cookies 2015

I made lots of goodies this year so that I had plenty to serve to guests and send off in care packages (and of course have some for us).  I tried to create a mix of traditional and innovative and even a little inventive.  Peanut Blossoms and Homemade Caramels are a must have for me.  Peanut Brittle is becoming a tradition as I have made it a few years in a row now.  The Reese's Sandwiches reminded me of something my mom made a couple times when I was a kid.  The Double Chocolate Peppermint cookies were for my love who loves mint.  The Pecan Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies were an idea I woke up with one day and just had to try.  And of course there was some Christmas Crack which my step-daughter loves.  The baby doesn't have any favorites yet, just anything with sugar will do.

Here are the links to all the recipes I used and my own original recipe is at the end:

Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookie - You may notice that they've not listed the cocoa powder in their recipe.  I added 3/4 cup and they were great.  Also, I used regular AP flour.

Peanut Blossoms - I'm really picky about my Peanut Blossoms.  They have to be like my mom's or they are wrong.  The recipe on the back of the Hershey Kisses bag is wrong.  Sorry, Hershey.  This one turned out as close to my mom's as I've made in a long time.  The melted butter still seems weird to me.  I think that if it were really softened it would still be fine.  I'll try it that way next year.

Reese's Sandwiches - Yep, these were supposed to be made with Rolos but the day I was shopping I couldn't find them.  The south hates Rolos, I swear it.  I went with Reese's out of sheer aggravation but the turned out yummy anyway.  I coated mine in white almond bark and sprinkles.  You gotta have sprinkles.

Caramels - For years I made the recipe in the Fanny Farmer cookbook.  That recipe is fantastic and I highly recommend it.  This year I was going for as quick and easy as possible so I thought the sweetened condensed milk in this recipe might expedite the cooking process.  Honesty, in hindsight, I doubt it made any difference.  Final product was delicious.  The individual wrappings always make me wish I was like Santa and had some elves to help me out.

Peanut Brittle - No matter what recipe you use this candy is pretty straight forward.  In the past I've used dry roasted peanuts.  No.  Go for the Spanish peanuts.  I can't explain it but it makes a difference.  This is a very good recipe, it's descriptive and well written.

Dixie's Pecan Toffee and Chocolate Chip Cookies

Toffee:
1/2 cup butter (not margarine)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup pecans, ground

Cookies:
Dixie's Base Cookie Recipe
1 batch toffee, crumbled
1 cup mini chocolate chips

For the toffee:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

In a small sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat.  When butter is almost completely melted add in the brown sugar.  Stir to combine and continue to cook until the butter and sugar come together (no longer separate), stirring frequently.  Stir in pecans.

Pour into a 9x13-inch pan and bake for 10-12 minutes or until bubbly and a slightly deeper brown.  Let the toffee cool completely before you proceed.  If you're in a rush you can place your pan in the freezer.

For the cookies:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Prepare sheet pans with parchment paper.  I do recommend parchment paper here due to the toffee sticking as it melts.

Prepare Dixie's Base Cookie Recipe as written.  Stir in the crumbled toffee bits and the chocolate chips.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls or a 1-inch cookie scoop onto prepared baking sheets.  Space them at least 2-inches apart, these cookies will spread.

Bake for 9-11 minutes or until set and lightly browned around the edges.  Be careful not to overbake them.  They should have a chewy texture.

Remove pan from oven and allow the cookies to sit on the sheet for a few minutes before moving them to cooling racks.

Allow to cool completely.  Makes approximately 3 dozen cookies.

Click HERE for a printable version of this recipe.


I suspect these would make excellent bars as well and I may be trying them that way in the future.  I'll let you know how it goes.


I would like to wish everyone a very happy holiday season regardless of your philosophical persuasion.  May the end of your year be filled with warmth and love and your new year filled with peace and prosperity.

I will see you in 2016.






No comments:

Post a Comment