Friday, October 24, 2014

Homemade Chicken Stock in the Slow Cooker

Homemade Chicken Stock from Dishin' with Dixie



Autumn and winter are probably my two favorite seasons.  Not only do they bring my two favorite cooking holidays, Thanksgiving and Christmas, but the colder weather calls for lots of soups and stews.

I used to buy a quart of chicken stock almost every shopping trip, Kitchen Basics makes a very good one, but after awhile I realized it was just as easy to make the stock at home.  I would make it in the pressure cooker if I were in a pinch for time but my preferred method is in the slow-cooker.  Having the house filled with the aroma all day long is so comforting and pleasant.

It's easy, it's made with simple ingredients and it will save you money.  Need I say more?

Homemade Chicken Stock

4 chicken leg quarters (or 6 thighs or one whole bird, quartered), skin removed
4 onions (not sweet), quartered
4-5 carrots, quartered
4-5 celery stalks, quartered
1 teaspoon Herb de Provence or poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
1 teaspoon dried parsley
Enough water to cover

In a large crock pot, place onions, carrots and celery.  Arrange chicken, in a single layer, on top.  Sprinkle with seasonings and add enough water to the crock to cover chicken by about an inch, careful to not overfill the crock (should be about an inch space left at the top).

Set cooking to HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 6-8 hours.  No need to stir.

When cooking time is finished remove chicken and set aside.  Pour the stock into a large bowl through a colander, reserving the cooked veggies.  If there is a lot of fat floating on top try to remove as much as you can.  A little fat is totally fine though.

Now, here's the secret to rich, hearty stock: place (approximately) 1 carrot, 1 stalk of celery and 1 onion into a blender with 1-2 cups of stock.  Puree until very smooth.  Pour the pureed mixture back in the rest of the stock and stir to combine.

I prefer to not salt my stock since I will be using it in other recipes, sometimes even reducing it for a sauce, and will season it at that time.  This prevents over salting.

Either use immediately or allow to cool before preparing for freezer storage.  I like to store 2-cup portions in zippered bags, labeled with the date, laid flat to freeze.  It makes for easy storage and thawing when ready to use.

Click HERE for a printable version of this recipe.

Simple.  Basic.  Hearty.  I love it and I hope you will, too.

Dixie's Seal of Approval

1 comment:

  1. […] 4 carrots, peeled and sliced 4 ribs of celery, diced 2 quarts of Homemade Chicken Stock and cooked chicken meat used to make the stock 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed 1-2 cups frozen […]

    ReplyDelete