Sunday, October 12, 2014

Souper Savory Meatloaf

Souper Savory Meatloaf




I would do anything for this recipe, but I won't do that.  Okay, enough with the Meat Loaf references.

This is yet another easy and accessible recipe with just a few ingredients.  In other words, this is my kind of recipe.  I don't know where this one originated.  It may have been my mom's, it may have come from a cookbook, heck it may have once graced the box of soup mix.  I'm just glad it made it's way to me because this is some darn good meatloaf.

Souper Savory Meatloaf

2 pounds ground beef (at least 85/15, lean meat is not recommended)

2 eggs

1 packet onion soup mix

⅓ cup ketchup, plus more for glazing

¼ cup water or milk

1 cup breadcrumbs or crushed crackers

 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  In a large bowl whisk together all ingredients except meat and breadcrumbs.  Add in meat and breadcrumbs and mix well with hands.  Transfer meat to 9 x 13-inch baking dish and form into a loaf shape. You could use a loaf pan but I prefer to do in a large baking dish so that the excess fat can run off.  Bake for 1 hour. Glaze with enough ketchup to coat evenly.  Bake for an additional 20 minutes.  Remove from oven and allow to for at least 10 minutes.  Slice and serve.

Click HERE for a printable version of this recipe.

Sometimes I like to mix a little Worcestershire sauce into the ketchup that I glaze the loaf with, it's not required but it is very good.  Letting the loaf rest after baking is important and the 10 minute recommendation is actually the minimum.  If you can let it sit for closer to 20 minutes, covered and kept warm, while you put together the rest of your meal then that would be even better.  Letting it rest ensures that when you go to slice it the slices won't crumble or break.  If you rush and cut into it right out of the oven you'll be essentially serving seasoned cooked ground beef crumbles.

That's about all I have to say about that.   Enjoy!

Dixie's Seal of Approval

No comments:

Post a Comment