Saturday, December 20, 2014

Cheesy Ranch Chicken Drumsticks

Cheesy Ranch Drumsticks from Dishin with Dixie



We tried out a new recipe tonight.  I'm always looking for interesting ways to cook drumsticks and thighs since these chicken parts are always the most affordable and I think the most tasty.  Tonight's recipe was found on Yellow Bliss Road but based on the comments I decided to make a few minor changes to see if I could avoid those problems.  I decided to marinate my chicken in the dressing and tried baking it on a rack to prevent the cracker coating from getting soggy.

I also decided to try a pasta salad recipe I found recently that I was planning on serving later in the month.  I got impatient though and made a half batch of it tonight, just to test it out.  It is SOOOO good!  This is exactly like the pasta salad that can be found on most salad bars in the south.  It is a must for any macaroni salad lovers, like me, out there.

Here's the tally:

Chicken - $3.69
Cheese crackers - $0.47
Ranch dressing - $0.43
Macaroni - $0.37
Milk - $0.19
Cali Mix veggies - $0.99
Salad - $1.24
-------------------------------------------------------

For a total of $7.38 for 6 servings (that's $1.23 per serving)

Cheesy Ranch Chicken Drumsticks

1 pack chicken drumsticks (about 9 count)
1 cup Ranch dressing
1 cup finely crushed cheese crackers (Cheez-its or similar)

Add drumsticks to a gallon size ziplock bag.  Pour in Ranch dressing and seal the bag.  Toss the chicken until all the drumsticks are well coated in dressing.  Place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour but overnight is ideal.

Remove chicken from fridge and let set out for an hour to bring it up to room temperature.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Place a rack on a baking sheet or if you don't have a rack preheat your baking sheet in the oven while you prepare the chicken.  Either method will help the chicken stay crispy while baking.

Place the ground cheese crackers in a shallow bowl.  Coat each drumstick evenly in cracker crumbs, shaking off excess, then place on rack.  Repeat for all drumsticks. Make sure the drumsticks are not touching one another on the pan.

Bake chicken for 40-50 minutes, turning once halfway through.  Internal temperature should be 180 degrees when done.  If crackers are getting too browned cover lightly with a sheet of foil.

Remove from oven and let stand at least 5 minutes.

I served the chicken with Hawaiian Macaroni Salad.  Why it's called Hawaiian, I have no idea.  It's just good old Macaroni Salad to me.  I also served California Mixed Veggies seasoned with lemon pepper and a mixed greens salad.  Hawaii, California; it was quite the all-American meal.

My family's review of the chicken was that it was different, they liked it, but wouldn't want it often.  Doubtful that I'll make it again.  Back to the drawing board for drumsticks recipes.  The macaroni salad is definitely a keeper.  That will now be in regular rotation.

Happy eating!

Dixie's Seal of Approval

No comments:

Post a Comment