Friday, December 19, 2014

Tater Tot Casserole

This is definitely not high-class cuisine but if you have kiddos at your table this is sure to be a hit (and it's a great way to sneak some veggies into their meal).



Years and years ago, as a kid, I had dinner at a restaurant in Minnesota called Emma Krumbee's.  The special of the day was Tater Tot Casserole.  I was a kid and I loved tater tots so of course I had to order it.  I don't remember how old I was but it had to have been around the age I started cooking, which was about 12.  I liked this dish so much I recreated it from memory into the recipe below.  My recipe differs from most recipes you'll find on the internet, I know because I've looked, but I'm quite fond of my version as is my family and hopefully you will be as well.

Here's the tally:

Ground Beef - $2.66
Tater Tots - $1.69
Soup - $0.98
Green Beans - $0.98
Cream Corn - $0.98
Salad - $1.24

-----------------------------------------
Total for 8 servings $8.53 (that's $1.06 per serving)

Emma Krumbee's Tater Tot Casserole

1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained of fat
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 cans green beans, drained
2 can cream-style corn
Lawry's seasoned salt, to taste
1 bag tater tot

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.

In a bowl combine cooked ground beef, soup and canned vegetables.  Season with seasoned salt and stir well to combine,

Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.

Arrange tater tots evenly on top.

Place in oven and bake for 30-45 minutes or until bubbling and tater tots are lightly browned.

Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Click HERE for a printable version of this recipe.

Happy dining.

Dixie's Seal of Approval

No comments:

Post a Comment