Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Homemade Pizza

Homemade Pizza from Dishin with Dixie



We are a family of pizza lovers.  One of us has even worked at a pizzeria.  I'm still perfecting my dough but I definitely got the sauce and the toppings part handled.  Tonight I totally forgot to make this pizza dough in advance so I ended up making my usual Yeast Roll dough instead.  It was tasty but not as good as real pizza dough would be.  Next time I will make sure to leave enough time for the dough.

My tip for making homemade pizza even more affordable is to chop or dice your toppings, even the pepperoni, to make them stretch further.

Here's the tally:

-Dough- $0.69 for 2 pizzas
Flour: $0.35
Yeast: $0.26
Egg: $0.08

-Sauce- $0.64
Tomato Sauce: $0.25
Tomato Paste: $0.39

-Toppings- $2.70
Pepperoni (14): $0.70
Bacon bits: $0.25
Green onions: $0.04
Green Pepper: $0.22
Mushrooms: $0.37
Black Olives: $0.17

Cheese: $0.95

-------------------------------------------------------
Total for 2 pizzas $4.03 (that's $0.50/serving)

Dixie's Easy Peasy Pizza Sauce

1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Black pepper, to taste

Stir to combine.  Makes enough for two, 16-inch, pizzas.

Click HERE for a printable version of this recipe.

Simple.  Affordable.  Sadly no leftovers though.  There's usually a slice of two that makes it to the fridge but rarely will survive until morning.

Saving money never tasted so good :)

Dixie's Seal of Approval

1 comment: